Nylon is a polymer that you can make yourself in the laboratory . A strand of nylon cord is pulled from the interface between two liquids.
Nylon rope ride :
The demonstration is sometimes called the “nylon rope ride” because you can pull a continuous nylon rope from the liquid indefinitely ,and Careful examination of the string will reveal that it is a hollow polymer tube.
Nylon materials required :
- a solution made of 6 g of sebacoyl chloride in 70 ml of heptane
- a solution made of 3 g of 1,6-diaminohexane in 70 ml of water
- metal tweezers or tweezers
- Use equal volumes of the two solutions. Tilt the beaker containing the 1,6-diaminohexane solution and slowly pour the sebacoyl chloride solution onto the side of the beaker to form the top layer.
- Dip the clamps into the liquids interface and pull them up to form a strand of nylon. Continue to pull the tweezers from the beaker to lengthen the strand. You may want to wrap the nylon cord around a glass rod.
- Rinse the nylon with water, ethanol or methanol to remove the acid from the nylon. Be sure to rinse the nylon before handling or storing it.
How the nylon rope trick works:
Nylon is the name given to any synthetic polyamide. Acyl chloride from any dicarboxylic acid reacts with a substitution reaction with any amine to form a polymer of nylon and HCl.
Safety and disposal:
The reagents are irritating to the skin, so wear gloves throughout the procedure.
The remaining liquid should be mixed to form nylon, and Nylon must be washed before disposal.
Any unreacted liquid should be neutralized before being washed down the drain.
If the solution is basic, add sodium bisulfate. If the solution is acidic, add sodium carbonate .
You must read it also :
You may also like that one :